Classic Jelly Roll Cake
|Egg yolk||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs)|
|Sugar||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Water||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Vanilla extract||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Cake flour||1 Cup (16 tbs), sifted|
|Egg white||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Cream of tartar||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Confectioner' s sugar||4 Teaspoon|
1. Grease bottom of a 15x 10 x 1-inch jelly-roll pan; line with waxed paper cut to fit bottom of pan; grease paper. Set aside.
2. Beat egg yolks, 1/2 cup sugar, water, and vanilla extract together until very thick. Fold in flour until just blended.
3. Beat egg whites with cream of tartar and salt until frothy. Add 1/2 cup sugar gradually, continuing to beat until stiff peaks are formed.
4. Fold egg-yolk mixture into meringue until blended. Turn batter into the prepared pan and spread evenly.
5. Bake at 350°F 20 to 25 minutes, or until cake tests done.
6. Loosen edges of cake and immediately turn onto a towel with confectioners' sugar sifted over it. Peel off the paper and trim any crisp edges of cake.
7. To roll, begin at a short side of cake. Using towel as a guide, tightly grasp nearest edge of towel and quickly pull it over beyond opposite edge. Cake will roll itself as you pull. Wrap roll in towel and set on wire rack to cool about 30 minutes.
8. When ready to fill, carefully unroll cooled cake, spread with jelly, and reroll.