Honey Whole Wheat Rolls
|Active dry yeast||2 Tablespoon|
|Lukewarm water||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Brown sugar||1 Tablespoon|
|Sweet butter||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs)|
|Honey||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs)|
|Boiling water||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Cold water||1 2⁄3 Cup (26.67 tbs)|
|Whole wheat flour||3 Cup (48 tbs)|
|Old fashioned oatmeal||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Unbleached white flour/Bread flour||4 Cup (64 tbs) (Approximately)|
|Ground cardamom||1 Teaspoon|
1. In a cup, combine the yeast, lukewarm water, and sugar. Set in a warm place until mixture starts to bubble.
2. Put the butter, honey, and salt in a large bowl. Pour the boiling water over and stir to melt the butter. Pour in the cold water and stir in the yeast mixture which has started to bubble.
3. Stir in the whole wheat flour, oatmeal, and enough of the white flour to make a fairly stiff dough. Work in the cardamom.
4. Turn dough onto a lightly floured board and knead until it is smooth and satiny and all traces of stickiness are gone.
5. Put the dough in a clean buttered bowl and turn to butter the top of the dough. Cover and set in a warm place until doubled in bulk, about 1 1/2 hours.
6. Punch dough down and turn onto a floured board. Pull off pieces of dough the size of a large plum. Roll each piece into a rope 1/4 inch in diameter. Knot the rope and place on an oiled baking sheet 2 inches apart. Repeat until all the dough is used.
7. Cover and set in a warm place to rise until doubled in bulk, about 30 minutes.
8. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
9. Bake the rolls for 30 minutes, or until golden and done. Cool on racks.