Stuffed Lettuce Rolls
|Regular long-grain rice||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Iceberg lettuce head||1 Large|
|Ground beef||1 Pound|
|Onion||1 Medium, diced|
|Carrots||2 Medium, shredded|
|Water||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs)|
|Mozzarella cheese||4 Ounce, shredded (Half 8-Ounce Package)|
1. Prepare rice as label directs; set aside.
2. Meanwhile, discard any tough outer leaves from lettuce; cut out core and discard. Remove 8 large leaves and trim rib of each leaf very thin. Coarsely slice remaining lettuce; set aside.
3. In 12-inch skillet over medium-high heat, cook ground beef, onion, and half of shredded carrots until meat is well browned and onion and carrot are tender, about 10 minutes. Remove skillet from heat; stir in cooked rice, half of tomato paste, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 tea spoon pepper.
4. On center of each lettuce leaf, place about 1/2 cup ground-beef mixture. Fold 2 sides of lettuce leaf toward center over meat, overlapping edges. From one narrow edge, roll jelly-roll fashion.
5. In same 12-inch skillet, place sliced lettuce. Arrange stuffed lettuce rolls, seam side down, on lettuce in skillet. Add tomatoes with their liquid, water, basil, sugar, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon pepper, remaining tomato paste, and remaining shredded carrot. Over high heat, heat to boiling, gently stirring to break up tomatoes. Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer 20 minutes or until lettuce rolls are tender. Sprinkle shredded cheese over lettuce rolls; cover and simmer 1 to 2 minutes longer, until cheese melts.