Sweet And Sour Cabbage Rolls
|Green cabbage head||2 Pound (1 Large)|
|Ground cooked ham||3 Cup (48 tbs)|
|Scallions||4 , finely chopped|
|Converted white rice||3 Tablespoon|
|Freshly ground pepper||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Canned diced peeled tomatoes||28 Ounce (1 Can)|
|Tomato paste||6 Ounce (1 Can)|
|Fresh lemon juice||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs)|
|Packed brown sugar||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs)|
|Raisins||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs) (Golden / Dark)|
1. Rinse and core the cabbage. Carefully remove 8 large outer leaves from the cabbage. In a large pot of boiling water, boil these cabbage leaves about 5 to 7 minutes, or just until limp. Remove and drain well on paper towels.
2. Meanwhile, shred or chop the remaining cabbage and place in the bottom of a 5-quart electric slow cooker. In a medium bowl, combine the ground ham, scallions, rice, and pepper. In a separate bowl, mix together the tomatoes with their liquid and the tomato paste until thoroughly blended. Stir 1/2 cup of the tomato mixture into the ham and rice.
3. Arrange the cabbage leaves on a flat surface with the stem toward you. Divide the ham mixture evenly among the 8 leaves, placing it near the stem end. Fold in the sides of the cabbage leaves over the meat and carefully roll up.
4. Place the filled cabbage rolls on top of the shredded cabbage in the slow cooker. Stir the lemon juice, brown sugar, and raisins into the remaining tomato mixture and spoon over the top of the rolls and alongside so it seeps into the bottom of the cooker.
5. Cover and cook on the low heat setting 6 to 7 hours, or until the rice in the rolls is tender (the rolls should still be intact and not falling apart). Carefully remove the cooked rolls.