Crunchy Hard Rolls
|Dry yeast||2 Teaspoon|
|Warm water||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Unbleached flour||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Whole wheat flour||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
1. Sprinkle yeast onto warm water.
2. Add 1 cup unbleached flour, sugar, salt, oil, and 1 egg white. Beat about 3 minutes.
3. Gradually add more flour until it forms a soft dough. Knead 5 minutes on a floured surface. Cover; let rise 20 minutes.
4. Divide into 18 pieces and shape into rolls. Place on a nonstick baking sheet. Slash tops lengthwise with a sharp knife. Let rise until double in bulk, about 15 minutes.
5. Brush with an egg white which has been lightly beaten with 1 tablespoon water.
6. Bake at 400Â° for 15 to 20 minutes with a shallow pan of water on the bottom shelf of the oven. The additional moisture creates a crisp crust on the rolls.