Risotto Con Scampi
|Unshelled prawns/Thoroughly defrosted frozen prawns, medium sized, shelled and shells saved||1 Pound (Use Fresh)|
|Fish heads and trimmings||2 Pound|
|Dry white wine||6 Tablespoon|
|Onions||2 Small, sliced|
|Carrot||1 , sliced|
|Butter||2 1⁄2 Ounce|
|Finely chopped garlic||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Uncooked white rice||1 Pound (Plain, Preferably Italian)|
|Soft butter||2 Ounce|
|Grated imported parmesan cheese||6 Tablespoon|
1. Make a slit on the back from head to tail of each prawn with a sharp knife, lift out the intestinal vein, wash it under cold running water and dry on paper towel.
2. In a medium sized enamelled saucepan put the prawn shells, fish heads, trimmings, water and wine; bring it to a boil over high heat, skim the surface of any scum.
3. Now add the onions, carrot, parsley and bay leaf, lower the heat and let it simmer for 30 minutes, covering partially and skimming occasionally.
4. Take it off heat and strain through a fine sieve into another saucepan.
5. Using the back of a spoon press down hard on the trimmings and vegetables to extract their juices and discard them.
6. Keep the stock on low heat so that it is barely simmering.
7. In a heavy bottomed frying pan melt 1/2 ounce of butter over moderate heat, add the prawns and garlic and cook for 2 to 3 minutes or until the prawns are pink.
8. Remove from heat, cover and keep it aside.
9. In another heavy bottomed, medium sized pan melt the rest of the butter over moderate heat, add the rice and cook for 2 to 3 minutes or until the grains become somewhat opaque, keep stirring frequently in between.
10. Pour in 3/4 pint of the simmering stock and continue to cook uncovered over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until all the liquid is absorbed.
11. Again add 3/4 pint of stock and cook, stirring, until it is absorbed.
12. Then add 3/4 pint of stock again and cook till this is absorbed and the rice is tender (if, however, the rice is still firm, add more stock a few tablespoons at a time and continue cooking until the rice is done).
13. Now gently add the prawns and garlic with a fork with the pan juices and stir carefully so that the rice is not mashed.
14. At last, add 2 ounce of soft butter and Parmesan cheese and stir it a little.
15. Serve it immediately while it is creamy and hot with some more parmesan cheese.