Tomato and Spinach Risotto
|Garlic||1 Clove (5 gm)|
|Olive oil||2 Tablespoon|
|Canned tomatoes||14 Ounce, chopped|
|Vegetable stock||1 Pint|
|Risotto rice||5 Ounce|
|Spinach leaves||8 Ounce|
|Unsalted butter||1⁄2 Ounce|
|Sun dried tomatoes in oil||6|
|Parmesan cheese||1 Ounce|
|Black pepper||To Taste, ground|
1. Crush the garlic and finely chop the onion. Heat the oil in a frying pan, add the garlic and onion and fry for 2 to 3 minutes until softened.
2. Pour the tomatoes and stock into a small saucepan, bring to the boil, then reduce the heat to a gentle simmer.
3. Stir the rice into the frying pan with the onion and garlic and stir-fry until well coated. Add 1 ladleful of the stock mixture, stirring until absorbed, then add another ladle of stock and continue until nearly all the stock has been used. This will take about 15 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
4. Wash the spinach and put it in a pan, with only the water still clinging to the leaves after washing, a knob of the butter and salt and pepper, and cook for 2-3 minutes until just tender. Tip into a bowl and leave to cool a little.
5. Snip the sun-dried tomatoes into small dice. Shave off some slices of the Parmesan cheese, set aside for garnish, grate the remainder.
6. Squeeze out the excess moisture from the spinach and roughly chop.
7. Just after adding the last ladleful of stock to the rice, stir in the diced tomatoes, grated cheese, remaining butter and the spinach and cook until all the liquid has been absorbed and the rice is just tender.
8. Into bowls, spoon the risotto, garnish with the Parmesan shavings and serve.