Baby Beet Risotto
|Broth||4 Cup (64 tbs)|
|Zest of orange||1|
|Dried dill||1 Tablespoon|
|Beets||1 Bunch (100 gm), chopped into small cubes (1-2 Cups, Depending How Much Beet You Like It)|
|Olive oil||2 Tablespoon|
|Onion||1⁄2 , diced fine|
|Carrots||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Celery||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Beet greens||1 Cup (16 tbs), finely chopped (About The Greens From One Bundle Of Beets)|
|Risotto||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|White wine||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Feta||2 Tablespoon (For Garnish)|
|Parsley||2 Tablespoon (For Garnish)|
1. Put the broth, orange juice and zest, dill, and beets in a saucepan. Bring to boil and then reduce to a simmer.
2. In a large shallow pan over medium heat, add one tablespoon each of oil and butter to pan. When butter has melted and the oil is hot, add the onions, carrots, celery, and a pinch of salt and pepper. Sweat the onions, celery, and carrots for 5 minutes. Add the beet greens and cook for about 2 minutes. Scoop out the vegetables and set aside on a plate.
3. Add the other tablespoon each of butter and olive oil. When hot, add the Arborio and stir until the grain is translucent, except for a white dot in the center (about 5 minutes). Add the wine and stir until completely absorbed.
4. Add a ladleful of stock, stirring continually. Wait until the stock is completely absorbed before adding another ladleful. Continue to keep adding broth a ladleful at a time, only adding more once the broth is absorbed. It should take about 20 minutes to get the risotto tender.
5. When the risotto is soft and you have added all but the last ½ cup of broth, add the beets from the stock. Then add the last ½ cup of stock and the vegetables (carrots, onions, celery, and beet greens).
6. Cover with a lid and let finish over a low heat for about 5 minutes. When you are ready to serve, add a small pad of butter and finish with a squeeze of lemon juice.
For more information visit my blog Down Home Foodie!
Calories 418 Calories from Fat 156
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 17 g25.6%
Saturated Fat 6.1 g30.3%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 22.8 mg7.6%
Sodium 1358.3 mg56.6%
Total Carbohydrates 53 g17.5%
Dietary Fiber 7.6 g30.5%
Sugars 7 g
Protein 9 g18.2%
Vitamin A 90.7% Vitamin C 63.3%
Calcium 16% Iron 17.4%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet