|Vegetable stock/Chicken broth /canned reduced-sodium chicken broth||6 Cup (96 tbs), heated|
|Onion||1⁄2 Medium, chopped for about 1/2 cup|
|Olive oil/Vegetable oil||1 Tablespoon|
|Arborio rice||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs) (Uncooked)|
|Dry white wine||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Freshly grated parmesan||2 Tablespoon|
|For optional additions|
|Mushrooms||2 Ounce, caps wiped clean with a damp cloth, and sliced (Cultivated Or Wild)|
|Frozen peas||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), Defrosted|
|Cultivated mushrooms/Wild mushrooms||2 Ounce, caps wiped clean with a damp cloth, and sliced|
|Broccoli florets||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), blanched|
|Asparagus stalks||6 , cooked and chopped|
1) In a saucepan add stock. Boil the mixture over gently simmer.
2) In a large heavy saucepan heat oil and cook onion over moderately low heat for 5 minutes till softened.
3) Add mushrooms or red pepper if desired and cook the mixture for further 5 minutes.
4) Stir in rice and coat grains well with onion mixture.
5) Stir in wine and bring to boil, stirring constantly.
6) Let the wine evaporate, stir in 1/2 cup of the broth.
7) Cook rice over simmering heat stirring constantly till the liquid is absorbed.
8) Add broth, 1/2 cup at a time, stirring constantly. Let each portions gets absorbed before adding next batch.
9) After adding the broth, the rice should be creamy. This should take about 25 minutes.
10) Add Parmesan and salt and pepper to taste and other optional ingredients.
11) Serve immediately.
Calories 241 Calories from Fat 36
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 4 g6.4%
Saturated Fat 1.2 g6.2%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 4.4 mg1.5%
Sodium 613.1 mg25.5%
Total Carbohydrates 43 g14.4%
Dietary Fiber 2.9 g11.4%
Sugars 5.1 g
Protein 4 g8.4%
Vitamin A 17.1% Vitamin C 30.8%
Calcium 7.7% Iron 5.6%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet