You can make a delicious risotto any time of year! In this episode, Cindy makes a fabulous Butternut Squash Risotto.
1 Pound, prepared as needed (Such As Butternut Squash)
1 Small, finely diced
1 Clove (5 gm), minced
1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)
Dry white wine
1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)
5 Cup (80 tbs), heated
Grated parmesan cheese
1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs) (Plus More For Garnish)
1. Take about 1/3 of a butternut squash and peel it. Dice into pieces and reserve.
2. Finely mince a small onion and a garlic clove.
3. In a medium soup pot, drop the butter and let it melt.
2. Add the butternut squash pieces, onion and garlic.
3. Sprinkle salt and pepper, stir and let it cook for about 8 mins until the vegetables are softened.
4. In a separate sauce pan, add the chicken stock and heat it up.
5. Transfer the Arborio rice to the soup pot having the vegetable mixture and stir it through.
6. Pour in the dry white wine and let it cook for 2 minutes until all the alcohol is evaporated.
7. Take a ladle full of the heated chicken stock and add to the soup pot.
8. When the moisture evaporates add another ladle full. This continues until all the chicken stock is exhausted.
9. Keep stirring the whole time and never leave it unattended.
10. Continue cooking slowly until the mixture is thick and creamy.
11. Add parmesan cheese and some more salt if needed before finishing off.
A classic Italian dish, risotto wins hands down in the comfort food category. This recipe shows how creamy arborio rice with seasonal vegetables is slow cooked in a mixture of chicken stock and white wine and finished off with parmesan cheese. The good thing is that almost any vegetable stands up to it. Cook up some on a balmy eveining to enjoy with family.