A Basic Cheese Risotto
|Olive oil/Canola oil||2 Tablespoon|
|Onions||2 Small, finely chopped|
|Shallot||1 , finely chopped|
|Arborio/Long grain / basmati rice||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Long grain rice/Basmati rice||1 Cup (16 tbs) (Arborio)|
|Chicken stock||4 Cup (64 tbs)|
|Shredded reduced fat cheddar cheese||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Grated parmesan cheese||2 Tablespoon|
1. Heat the stock to a simmer in a medium saucepan, then lower the heat so that the stock just stays hot.
2. In a large nonstick skillet, heat the oil over moderate heat.
3. Add and sauté chopped onions and shallot, for 5 minutes until soft and translucent.
4. Add rice to pan and stir well to coat thoroughly with the oil mixture. Sauté rice for 2 to 3 minutes until the rice becomes almost translucent and gives out a nutty aroma.
5. Add a ladle of hot chicken stock to the rice and stir until the liquid is fully absorbed.
6. When the rice appears almost dry, add another ladle of stock and repeat the process.
7. Continue adding ladles of hot stock and stirring the rice while the liquid is absorbed. As it cooks, you'll see that the rice will take on a creamy consistency as it begins to release its natural starches.
8. Continue adding stock, a ladle at a time, for 20 minutes or until the grains are tender but still firm to the bite. If you run out of stock and the risotto still isn't done, you can finish the cooking using hot water.
9. Stir in the Cheddar cheese and the and season to taste with salt and pepper.
10. Serve Risotto right away garnished with Parmesan.
It's important to stir constantly, especially while the hot stock gets absorbed, to prevent scorching, and add the next ladle as soon as the rice is almost dry.
A properly cooked risotto should form a soft, creamy mound on a dinner plate. It shouldn't run across the plate, nor should it be stiff or gluey
Calories 548 Calories from Fat 128
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 14 g22.2%
Saturated Fat 4.2 g21.1%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 18.7 mg6.2%
Sodium 586.8 mg24.5%
Total Carbohydrates 88 g29.2%
Dietary Fiber 1.1 g4.2%
Sugars 9.4 g
Protein 15 g30.4%
Vitamin A 3.4% Vitamin C 9.2%
Calcium 19% Iron 6.7%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet