Seafood Risotto With Peppered Steak
|Cleaned squid/Bay scallops and/or peeled, deveined shrimp, halved lengthwise||12 Ounce, deveined (Fresh Or Frozen)|
|Beef top loin steak/Tenderloin||8 Ounce, cut 1 inch thick|
|Olive oil/Cooking oil||1 Teaspoon|
|Coarsely ground pepper||1 Teaspoon|
|Dried thyme||3⁄4 Teaspoon, crushed|
|Shallots||2 Small, finely chopped|
|Garlic||4 Clove (20 gm), minced|
|Arborio/Short-grain rice||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Dry white wine/Chicken broth||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Dried thyme||1⁄2 Teaspoon, crushed|
|Canned chicken broth||14 1⁄2 Ounce (1 Can)|
1. Thaw seafood, if frozen. Rub both sides of steak with oil. Sprinkle both sides of steak with pepper and 3/4 teaspoon thyme, pressing into surface. Cover and chill steak till needed.
2. In a medium saucepan cook shallots and garlic in hot margarine till tender. Add uncooked rice. Cook and stir 2 minutes more. Carefully add wine or broth and 1/2 teaspoon thyme. Cook and stir till most wine is absorbed.
3. Meanwhile, in a 1-quart saucepan bring the can of broth and 1 1/4 cups water to boiling. Add 1/2 cup broth mixture to the rice mixture, stirring constantly over low heat till rice has absorbed most of the broth. Continue adding the broth, 1/2 cup at a time, stirring constantly for 15 minutes. Add seafood. Cook and stir about 5 minutes more or till rice is tender and seafood turns opaque.
4. Place steak on the unheated rack of a broiler pan. Broil 3 to 4 inches from heat 10 to 12 minutes for medium rare, turning meat over once halfway through.
5. To serve, cut beef across grain into very thin slices; season to taste with salt. Fan the steak slices on 6 dinner plates. Spoon risotto-rice mixture atop. If desired garnish with fresh chives and Parmesan cheese shavings.