Spring Vegetable Risotto
|Chicken stock/Vegetable stock||8 Cup (128 tbs)|
|Extra virgin olive oil||2 Tablespoon|
|Unsalted butter||3 Tablespoon|
|Spanish onion||1 Medium, chopped|
|Garlic||1 Clove (5 gm), minced|
|Freshly ground black pepper||To Taste|
|Carnaroli rice/Other arborio rice||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Dry white wine||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Shelled english peas||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Thin asparagus||3⁄4 Bunch (75 gm), bottoms trimmed, tops sliced in small diagonal pieces (1 Small Bunch)|
|Sugar snap peas||1 Cup (16 tbs), sliced in small diagonal pieces|
|Spinach||3⁄4 Bunch (75 gm), trimmed and sliced into 1/2 inch ribbons (1 Small Bunch)|
|Fresh thyme leaves||1 Tablespoon|
|Thinly sliced fresh mint leaves||1 Tablespoon|
|Chopped italian parsley||2 Tablespoon (Fresh)|
|Grated parmigiano reggiano cheese||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs) (Plus Shavings, If Desired)|
1. Heat the stock in a large saucepan over medium-high heat until it comes to a simmer. Reduce the heat to low and cover the pan to keep the stock warm.
2. In a large, heavy-bottomed pot over medium-high heat, heat the oil and 1 tablespoon of the butter. Add the onion and garlic, and season to taste with salt and pepper. Cook until the onion is transparent, about 5 minutes. Add the rice, stirring with a wooden spoon, until it is coated with oil and butter. Continue to cook for 5 minutes longer.
3. Add the wine and continue to stir until the rice absorbs all the wine. Add the simmering stock, 1/2 cup at a time, stirring constantly. Wait until almost all of the stock has been absorbed before adding more.
4. Add the English peas and asparagus and continue stirring and adding stock as needed for about 5 minutes. Add the snap peas and spinach and cook for 5 more minutes, adding more stock as needed. The rice is done when it is tender but firm to the bite.
5. Remove the rice from the heat. Add the thyme, mint, parsley, Parmigiano-Reggiano, and the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter. Stir well to mix. Taste the risotto and adjust the seasoning. Serve, if you'd like, with shavings of Parmigiano-Reggiano.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 3298 Calories from Fat 875
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 100 g153.1%
Saturated Fat 37.5 g187.5%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 182.9 mg61%
Sodium 3449.2 mg143.7%
Total Carbohydrates 432 g143.9%
Dietary Fiber 30.3 g121.4%
Sugars 58.6 g
Protein 106 g211.5%
Vitamin A 289.3% Vitamin C 356.9%
Calcium 45.3% Iron 99%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet