1 onion, finely chopped
1 1/2 cups Italian short grain rice
1/2 cup dry white wine
5 cups simmering chicken stock
2 tbsp lemon juice
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1 tsp grated lemon rind
3 chopped fresh rosemary or sage leaves, optional
1. In a large skillet, melt butter. Add onion; saute about 5 minutes, until softened.
2. Stir in rice and mix until coated. Stir in wine. Cook over medium-high heat about 5 minutes, until wine is absorbed.
3. Add 1 cup of the stock to the rice and cook, stirring slowly and constandy, about 6 minutes, until liquid is absorbed.
4. Continue with the rest of the stock, 1 cup at a time, until the rice is tender and creamy. (You may not need all the stock.) With the fourth addition of stock, add lemon juice.
5. Stir in Parmesan, rind and herb, if using. Serve at once.