Pancakes Stuffed with Ricotta Cheese and Spinach
|Skimmed milk||300 Milliliter (10 Fl Ounce)|
|Soda water||250 Milliliter (8 Fl Ounce)|
|Strong white flour||225 Gram, sifted (8 Ounce)|
|Butter||15 Gram (0.5 Ounce)|
|Spinach||225 Gram (8 Ounce)|
|Ricotta cheese||400 Gram (14 Ounce)|
|Egg||1 , lightly beaten|
|Grated lemon rind||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Ground cinnamon||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Chopped chives||1 Tablespoon (For Garnish)|
1. Combine the milk, soda water and salt in a jug. Combine the eggs and flour in a large bowl and beat vigorously, adding the milk and water mixture at the same time. Beat until you have a smooth creamy texture and set aside for 30 minutes to thicken.
2. Smear an 18 cm (7 inch) heavy-based shallow frying pan with just enough butter to gloss the surface. Place over a fierce heat and when the pan is very hot pour in 1 1/6 of the batter tilting the pan to spread it. Cook for 1 minute until golden, then flip the pancake with a palette knife or spatula and cook the other side for 1 minute. Remove. Cook 15 more pancakes in the same way.
3. Wash and trim the spinach, then wring it out very thoroughly as you would a dishcloth, squeezing out as much of the liquid as you can, then chop it and mix it with the Ricotta cheese. Add the egg, lemon rind, cinnamon, salt and pepper and mix thoroughly.
4. Spread the mixture over each pancake, roll up and place, seam down, side by side in a shallow ovenproof dish. Cover lightly with buttered greaseproof paper and bake in a preheated oven for about 20 minutes.
5. Garnish with chives just before serving.