Red Beans and Rice with Andouille Sausage
|Dry red kidney beans||16 Ounce (1 packet)|
|Andouille sausage/Any other sausage||2 Large|
|Seasoning blend of onions, celery and bell peppers||16 Ounce (1 packet)|
|Olive oil||1 Tablespoon (for frying)|
|Garlic||2 Tablespoon, minced|
|Tobasco sauce||5 Drop|
|Cajun seasoning||1 Teaspoon|
|Water||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Rice||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Green onions||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), chopped (for garnishing)|
1. Soak the dry red beans overnight in a big bowl full of 6 cups of water.
2. Next day drain the red beans and place them into a slow cooker. Cover again with 6 cups of water. Turn the heat setting on High.
3. In a pan heat the olive oil and cook the sausages on a medium to high heat for about 15 minutes till they turn to a golden brown colour.
4. Once they are done, transfer them to a paper towel to soak the excess oil.
5. In the same pan, saute the seasonings on a medium heat for a minute or two till they are translucent.
6. Meanwhile, slice up the sausages.
7. Once the seasoning is sauted, transfer the contents of the pan into the slow cooker and give it a nice stir to mix up everything well.
8. Next add the andouille sausages to the slow cooker and give it a nice stir.
9. To this add the garlic and stir it up well.
10. Then drop in the bay leaves and give it a nice mix.
11. Add the tobasco sauce and the cajun seasoning and once again mix well.
12. After this, put on the lid of the cooker and set it on high for about 6 hours.
13. For the rice, boil the water in a pan with a pinch of salt and a little bit of butter.
14. To this add the rice. Give it a stir and cover it with a lid. Lower the heat, put the gas mark on three and let it cook for 20 minutes.
15. After 20 minutes, arrange the beans and sausages with the rice in a plate.
16. Top it up with some chopped green onions, a little bit of Cajun seasoning and some of your favorite garnishing and serve hot.