Stephanie,The Posh Pescatarian, makes the ultimate Mardi Gras recipe just in time for Fat Tuesday! Red beans and rice with shrimp - delicious, festive and frugal. Laissez les bon temps rouler!
1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)
Long grain rice
1 Cup (16 tbs)
1 Cup (16 tbs), peeled, deveined
8 Cup (128 tbs)
Red bell pepper
Orange bell pepper
Yellow bell pepper
Herbs de provence
1. Roughly chop garlic, 1/2 red bell pepper, 1/2 yellow bell pepper, 1/2 orange bell pepper, onion, celery and tomatoes and add into a bowl.
2. Cut the tails off jumbo shrimp and dice them.
3. In a pot with hot olive oil add the cut vegetables and spices and allow to sweat.
4. Add 2 cups of broth and 2 cups of water.
5. Add the beans along with a little water and let it to cook for about 1/2 an hour.
6. Check on beans and frequently add water or broth as needed.
7. Add rice, then after 10 minutes add the shrimp and hot pepper sauce.
8. Add 1/3 cup of water and let it cook until done.
9. Transfer to a serving dish and serve hot.