Chopped Beef with Rice (Arrozo con carne)
|Ground beef||1 Pound, browned and reserved|
|Onion||1 Medium, chopped|
|Red pepper||1 , cut in pieces - about 1" square|
|Green pepper||1⁄2 , cut in pieces - about 1" square|
|Garlic||1 Clove (5 gm), grated|
|Rice||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Chicken stock/Low-sodium chicken broth||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Olive oil||3 Tablespoon|
|Kosher salt||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Black pepper||To Taste|
|Canned tomatoes||14 1⁄2 Ounce, diced|
|Water||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Frozen peas||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs), Defrosted|
|Hot water||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
1. In a medium bowl mix the saffron with the chicken stock and set aside.
2. In a large sauté pan with a tight fitting cover, pour in the olive oil and add in the onion. Sauté for 3 or 4 minutes until softened.
3. Add in the peppers and cook for another 2 or 3 minutes.
4. Stir in the garlic and mix thoroughly to combine.
5. Add in the rice and stir to coat thoroughly.
6. Pour in the chicken broth mixture into the pan, give it a stir and bring to boil.
7. Stir in the tomatoes and stir again. Followed by the beef and incorporate all the ingredients well.
8. Season with salt and black pepper. Pour in the water, cover, and cook for 20 minutes.
9. Check to see if rice has absorbed all of the liquid and is tender. Pour in hot water and cook for an additional 10 minutes.
10. Add in the peas, stir and leave off the heat for a few minutes.
11. Serve with a tomato and onion salad tossed with a little olive oil and red wine vinegar and some crusty bread.