Herbed Capon with Brown Rice Stuffing And Roasted Potatoes
|Onion||1 Medium, chopped|
|Sweet red pepper||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs), chopped|
|Mushrooms||3 Medium, chopped for 1 cup|
|Brown rice||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), uncooked|
|Canned pineapple chunks in natural juices||8 Ounce, drained, coarsely chopped and juice reserved (1 can)|
|Chicken broth||1 Cup (16 tbs) (as required, homemade or canned)|
|Marjoram leaf||1⁄4 Teaspoon, crumbled|
|Thyme leaf||1⁄4 Teaspoon, crumbled|
|Pepper||1⁄4 Teaspoon, freshly ground|
|Boiled ham/Smoked ham||5 Ounce, chopped for 1 cup|
|Golden raisins||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Pistachio nuts||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs), chopped|
|Capon/Roasting chicken- 6- to 8- pound, thawed if frozen, with giblets reserved||8 Pound|
|Marjoram leaf||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon, crumbled|
|Thyme leaf||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon, crumbled|
|Salt||1 1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Pepper||1⁄2 Teaspoon, freshly ground|
|Butter/Margarine||1 Tablespoon, melted|
|Red skinned potatoes||3 1⁄2 Pound (about 24 small ones)|
|Water||3 1⁄2 Cup (56 tbs)|
|Giblets||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), reserved from bird|
|Pan drippings||2⁄3 Cup (10.67 tbs), defatted|
|Fat/Pan drippings /butter /margarine||4 Tablespoon|
|Shallots||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), finely chopped|
|All purpose flour||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Pepper||1⁄8 Teaspoon, freshly ground|
|Watercress sprigs||3 (as required)|
|Sweet red pepper||2 Tablespoon, cut into strips|
|Sweet yellow pepper||2 Tablespoon, cut into strips|
1) Preheat the oven to 425°F.
2) Cut and discard the neck and reserve the giblets.
3) Rinse the bird well inside and out with cold water.
4) Dry the bird using paper towels.
5) Begin from the edge of the cavity.
6) Slowly loosen and lift the skin around the breasts and legs, taking care not to tear the skin.
7) In a small bowl, mix together of 1/2 teaspoon of, marjoram and the thyme.
8) Smear the meat with thyme mixture.
9) Gently put the skin back into place.
10) Dredge 1/4 teaspoon of, salt and pepper, inside of the body and neck cavities with.
11) Stuff the ham mixture loosely into both cavities.
12) Using the string and skewer tie the legs to the tail and the neck skin to the back.
13) Put the bird on a rack in a roasting pan.
14) Lightly coat the bird with the melted butter or margarine using a brush and dredge with the remaining marjoram, thyme, salt and pepper.
15) Place in the oven and roast the bird, uncovered for 15 minutes.
16) Lower the heat 325°F and continue to roast for 2 1/2 hours.
17) Baste the bird ocassionally with the pan drippings.
18) Using a vegetable peeler, peel one long continuos strip around each entire potato.
19) Rinse the potatoes and dry using paper towel.
20) After 1 hour of roasting of chicken, place the potatoes in a single layer in the pan drippings, turning to coat.
21) Carry on roasting until the bird and the potatoes are done.
22) In a saucepan, heat the water to boil.
23) Place the reserved giblets and bring to boil.
24) Simmer for 15 to 20 minutes.
25) Using the perforated ladle remove giblets and allow to cool.
26) Chop the giblet chop and reserve the giblets and the broth separately.
27) Remove the bird to a warm platter and allow to rest for 20 minutes before carving.
28) Take out the potatoes to a warm bowl and cover.
29) Pass the drippings from the roasting pan, through sieve into a 4-cup glass measure.
30) Using a shallow ladle skim off the fat and reserve 4 tablespoons (add more butter to make 4 tablespoon).
31) In a saucepan, heat the reserved fat and saute the shallots, marjoram and thyme for 1 to 2 minutes, or until tender.
32) Mix in the flour, stirring constantly, for 2 minutes.
33) Gently stir in the broth-pan drippings mixture.
34) Heat the flour mixture over medium heat, stirring constantly, until the mixture thickens and boils.
35) Reduce the heat and add in the giblets and simmer for 5 minutes.
36) Season the flour mixture with salt and pepper.
37) Stream the flour mixture into gravy boat and keep warm.
38) Arrange the bird over a warm serving platter.
39) Garnish the platter with the potatoes, watercress sprigs and red and yellow pepper strips and serve with the gravy.
Calories 3273 Calories from Fat 2001
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 223 g342.3%
Saturated Fat 72.5 g362.4%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 824.5 mg274.8%
Sodium 1735.4 mg72.3%
Total Carbohydrates 117 g38.9%
Dietary Fiber 11.3 g45.1%
Sugars 20.5 g
Protein 195 g389.7%
Vitamin A 110.9% Vitamin C 159%
Calcium 20% Iron 92%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet