This rice is yellow because of the turmeric. I use long grain rice that I mix with vermicelli. Vermicelli is thin pasta which I cut up into 1-inch pieces. You can buy it cut up already. This is a great side dish for stews or curries. The ration of rice/vermicelli/ water is slightly different than when you are cooking plain rice because the vermicelli cooks faster than the rice.
1 Cup (16 tbs)
1 Cup (16 tbs), cut in to medium pieces
3 Cup (48 tbs)
1. Melt the butter in a pan.
2. Add the rice and vermicelli and fry, stirring often, until vermicelli starts to brown.
3. Add the turmeric and mix well. Add the water and season with salt.
4. Bring rice to a boil, cover and reduce heat.
5. Simmer for 20 minutes until liquid dries up and rice is cooked.
When you need an easy rice side to serve alongside your stews, gravies or meats, just try making this one. Delicious, filling and vibrant, turmeric adds an interesting flavor and color to this rice dish. And it’s quite simple to make too. All you have to do is watch the video and get making this scrummy dish.
Indian Style Turmeric Vermicelli Rice Recipe Video