Today I bring to you my fast and easy version of Hoppin John. A Southern Style Rice & Beans.
1 Cup (16 tbs) (brown rice medley used)
Canned black beans
1 Can (10 oz), drained (Microwaved for a couple of minutes)
To Taste (Sprinkled on the black beans)
4 Medium, crumbled (Microwaved for a couple of minutes)
2 Medium (Soy cheddar cheese slices used)
4 Medium, sliced (To garnish)
2 Drop (Optional)
1. In a pot with boiling water, add the brown rice medley and pepper blend (1/2 tsp black pepper + 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper). Stir well.
2. Add or spray a little olive oil to the cooking pot, cover and let cook.
3. In a bowl, put the black beans, sprinkled with some salt. Microwave this for 2 minutes.
4. Microwave the crumbled sausages for 2 minutes, set aside.
5. Once the rice is cooked, take a serving bowl, place the cooked rice at the bottom, followed by the black beans and breakfast sausages.
6. Place a soy cheddar cheese slice on top.
7. Place the bowl in the microwave for about 20 seconds.
8. Top it off with a spoon of 2% Greek yogurt.
9. Add a couple of drops of hot sauce (if using) and sprinkle with some green onions.
Have you been looking for a vegetarian version of hoppin john? This video is just perfect for you. Watch the chef share her secret recipe to prepare this Southern Hoppin John. This recipe is an absolute delight, don’t miss it.