Hoppin' John - Southern Style Rice & Beans
|Brown rice||1 Cup (16 tbs) (brown rice medley used)|
|Black pepper||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Cayenne pepper||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Olive oil||2 Dash|
|Canned black beans||1 Can (10 oz), drained (Microwaved for a couple of minutes)|
|Salt||To Taste (Sprinkled on the black beans)|
|Breakfast sausage||4 Medium, crumbled (Microwaved for a couple of minutes)|
|Cheese slices||2 Medium (Soy cheddar cheese slices used)|
|Greek yogurt||2 Tablespoon|
|Green onions||4 Medium, sliced (To garnish)|
|Hot sauce||2 Drop (Optional)|
1. In a pot with boiling water, add the brown rice medley and pepper blend (1/2 tsp black pepper + 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper). Stir well.
2. Add or spray a little olive oil to the cooking pot, cover and let cook.
3. In a bowl, put the black beans, sprinkled with some salt. Microwave this for 2 minutes.
4. Microwave the crumbled sausages for 2 minutes, set aside.
5. Once the rice is cooked, take a serving bowl, place the cooked rice at the bottom, followed by the black beans and breakfast sausages.
6. Place a soy cheddar cheese slice on top.
7. Place the bowl in the microwave for about 20 seconds.
8. Top it off with a spoon of 2% Greek yogurt.
9. Add a couple of drops of hot sauce (if using) and sprinkle with some green onions.
10. Serve warm and enjoy!
Calories 491 Calories from Fat 224
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 25 g38.3%
Saturated Fat 9.9 g49.7%
Trans Fat 0.2 g
Cholesterol 53.4 mg17.8%
Sodium 1121.9 mg46.7%
Total Carbohydrates 48 g16%
Dietary Fiber 5.3 g21.1%
Sugars 2.4 g
Protein 18 g36.6%
Vitamin A 18.3% Vitamin C 10.1%
Calcium 21% Iron 12.6%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet