Baked Rice and Cheese
|Uncooked rice||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Onion||1 Small, minced|
|Powdered mustard||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Worcestershire sauce||1 Teaspoon|
|Milk||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Sharp cheddar cheese||1⁄2 Pound|
|Fine dry bread crumbs||3 Tablespoon|
1) Preheat the oven to 400° F.
2) In a pan, cook the rice as per package directions, until tender; drain well.
3) In a skillet, saute the onion in 4 tablespoons butter for 5 minutes.
4) Stir in the flour and seasonings; blend thoroughly.
5) Gradually stir in the milk, stir constantly and cook, until thickened.
6) Dice half of cheese, stir into the skillet mixture, until well blended.
7) In a shallow 1 1/2 -quart baking dish, place half of the rice.
8) Slice rest of the cheese and arrange over the rice.
9) Pour half of hot skillet mixture on top and then repeat the layers.
10) Top with the bread crumbs and dot with rest of the butter.
11) Bake in preheated oven for 20 minutes.
12) Serve the Baked Rice and Cheese immediately with any meat, fish, or poultry.
Calories 478 Calories from Fat 227
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 27 g41.7%
Saturated Fat 15.9 g79.4%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 79.8 mg26.6%
Sodium 669.4 mg27.9%
Total Carbohydrates 42 g14.1%
Dietary Fiber 1.6 g6.4%
Sugars 5.4 g
Protein 17 g33.4%
Vitamin A 17.1% Vitamin C 2.7%
Calcium 39% Iron 8.5%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet