Cauliflower And Rice Supreme
|Brown rice||4 Ounce (100 Gram)|
|Onions||6 Ounce, chopped (175 Gram)|
|Dried mixed herbs||1⁄4 Teaspoon (Sage)|
|Butter/Margarine||1 1⁄2 Ounce (40 Gram)|
|Plain flour||1 1⁄2 Ounce (40 Gram)|
|Eggs||2 , well beaten|
|Cheddar cheese||2 Ounce, grated (50 Gram)|
|Mustard||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), trimmed and washed (To Garnish:)|
|Cress||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), trimmed and washed (To Garnish:)|
1. Soak rice in cold water for 30 minutes; drain well.
2. Put rice in a heavy based saucepan, cover with 300 ml/ 1/2 pint water and 1 teaspoon of the salt.
3. Bring to the boil, reduce heat, simmer for 35-40 minutes until tender.
4. Prepare cauliflower by removing coarse outside stalks and washing it. Remove centre stalk and chop it.
5. Divide cauliflower into florets.
6. Put onions and cauliflower into saucepan, add 250 ml/8 fl oz cold water and remaining salt, cover with a tight fitting lid and bring to the boil. Cook for 8 minutes.
7. Add sage and mixed herbs; cook for a further 2 minutes. (Cauliflower should be tender but not soft.)
8. Drain the cauliflower, reserving the liquor to give 250 ml/8 fl oz: add extra water if necessary. Keep cauliflower on one side.
9. Melt butter or margarine in a saucepan, stir in the flour and Cook for 1 minute.
10. Gradually add the reserved liquor, stirring well to remove any lumps. Bring to the boil and cook for 2 minutes.
11. Stir in the cauliflower and adjust seasoning.
12. Strain any excess water from the rice and add to the cauliflower mixture, stirring in gently.
13. Stir in the beaten eggs and cheese.
14. Thoroughly butter a 1-litre/2-pint ring mould and press in the mixture.
15. Cook in a preheated moderate oven (180°C, 350°F, Gas Mark 4) on the centre shelf until firm to the touch (about 20 minutes).
16. Loosen the edges with a knife, place a plate on top and very carefully turn out.
17. Fill the centre with the mustard and cress. Serve with a tomato and cucumber salad.
Calories 530 Calories from Fat 225
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 26 g40%
Saturated Fat 9.9 g49.6%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 143.5 mg47.8%
Sodium 1166.8 mg48.6%
Total Carbohydrates 57 g19%
Dietary Fiber 11.9 g47.6%
Sugars 9.4 g
Protein 22 g44.2%
Vitamin A 15% Vitamin C 174%
Calcium 35% Iron 29.4%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet