Green Beans with Coconut and Popped Rice
|Dried unsweetened coconut/6 tablespoons freshly grated coconut||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs), shredded|
|Boiling water||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs)|
|Coarse salt||2 Tablespoon (Kosher)|
|Green beans||1 1⁄2 Pound, cut into 1-inch lengths|
|Vegetable oil||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Cumin seeds||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Black mustard seeds||1 Teaspoon|
|Long grain rice||1 Tablespoon (Preferably Basmati)|
|Dried red chilies||3|
|Cayenne pepper||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Table salt||3⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Fresh coriander||2 Tablespoon, chopped (Cilantro)|
1) In a small bowl, place the dried coconut, if using and soak in 1/3 cup boiling water for at least 15 minutes. Drain well.
2) In a large pot, bring 5 quarts of water to a rolling boil.
3) Add the beans and coarse salt to boil rapidly until the beans are just cooked slightly but still crisp, 2 to 3 minutes.
4) Drain the beans and rinse under cold water; drain again.
5) In a large skillet, add oil to heat up over moderately high heat.
6) Add the cumin and mustard seeds and wait for popping off the seeds.
7) Add rice to brown for about 1 minute, and the stir in the dried chiles.
8) Add the green beans, cayenne, sugar and table salt to stir-fry for 3 minutes, by reducing the heat to moderate.
9) Stir in the fresh or drained coconut and fresh coriander.
10) Cover with a lid and reduce the heat to low to cook for another minute.
11) In a salad bowl, transfer the beans and serve immediately.
Calories 179 Calories from Fat 109
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 13 g19.2%
Saturated Fat 3.4 g16.8%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 1913.2 mg79.7%
Total Carbohydrates 15 g4.9%
Dietary Fiber 5.1 g20.5%
Sugars 2.6 g
Protein 3 g6.9%
Vitamin A 10.6% Vitamin C 5.7%
Calcium 1.4% Iron 3.6%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet