|Short grain rice||2 1⁄2 Cup (40 tbs)|
|Dried shiitake mushrooms||3|
|Deep fried tofu||2⁄3 Ounce (20 Gram, 1 Sheet Thin Aburage; If Available)|
|Burdock/3 ounce / 85 gram canned bamboo shoots||1 Small (5 Inches)|
|Carrot piece||1 (4-Inch Piece)|
|Ground chicken||4 Ounce (115 Gram)|
|For simmering liquid|
|Soaking liquid/Secondary bonito stock||1 Cup (16 tbs) (From Mushrooms)|
|Sugar||1 1⁄2 Tablespoon|
|Soy sauce||2 Tablespoon|
1. Wash mushrooms. Soak in 3 cups warm water until soft (about 1 hour), keeping them submerged by covering with drop-lid, flat pan lid, or saucer. Drain, reserving soaking water. Discard stems and cut caps into slices 1/4 inch (3/4 cm) wide.
2. Wash rice. Cover with damp cloth and drain for 1 hour. While rice is draining, prepare and simmer remaining ingredients. Rice will be cooked in liquid left over from simmered chicken and vegetables (plus soaking water from mushrooms or secondary bonito stock).
3. Drop sheet of deep-fried tofu into boiling water for 30 seconds, turning once. Rinse in cold water and drain. Trim 1/4 inch (3/4 cm) from all 4 sides and cut trimmings into 1-inch (2 1/2-cm) lengths. Cut sheet crosswise into thirds. Stack and cut crosswise into 1/4 -inch (3/4 -cm) wide strips.
4. Scrub burdock well with stiff brush under running water, but do not scrape or peel. Score skin lengthwise with the tip of a knife. Sliver burdock as if sharpening a pencil. Burdock slivers should be thin, irregular, and about 1 inch (2 1/2 cm) long. Soak in cold water until ready to use.
5. Wash and parboil green beans. Slice diagonally into thin strips. Peel carrot. Wash bamboo shoots well and remove any white residue. Cut carrot and bamboo into 1-inch (2 1/2-cm) long julienne strips.
To cook and serve
1. Saute ground chicken in oil in a large saucepan until it loses its pink color.
2. Drain burdock well and add to chicken. Stir. Add carrot, bamboo shoot, deep-fried tofu, and mushroom. (Reserve green beans until next step.) Saute over medium-high heat until tender-crisp.
3. Combine SIMMERING LIQUID and add to chicken, tofu, and vegetables (excluding green beans). Cover and simmer for 8 minutes. Add green beans and simmer 1 or 2 minutes. Drain immediately, reserving pot liquor.
4. Combine pot liquor with enough soaking water from mushrooms (or secondary bonito stock) to make 2 3/4 cups. Add to saucepan along with rice and salt. Stir. Cover and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Let it boil 30 seconds, then reduce to low and boil for 12 minutes in same manner as plain rice. (If using rice cooker, add liquid, rice, and salt and switch on.)
5. After rice is done boiling, lay vegetables and chicken on top of rice. Do not mix. Replace lid and cook for 2 minutes. Turn heat to high for 5 seconds, then turn off. Without uncovering, let stand for 10 to 15 minutes. Mix just before serving. (If using a rice cooker, add cooked vegetables and chicken on top of cooked rice as soon as indicator light goes off. Replace lid and let stand for 10 to 15 minutes, then mix and serve.)