Mesa Verde Black Beans With Rice
|Chopped onion||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Chopped green pepper||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Minced garlic||4 Clove (20 gm)|
|Canned black beans||30 Ounce, drained (2 cans, 15 ounces each)|
|Water||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Crushed red pepper flakes||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Tomato paste||6 Ounce (1 can)|
|Cooked long grain rice||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Chopped tomatoes||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Sliced green onions||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Plain non fat yogurt||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
1) Use cooking spray to coat a large Dutch oven.
2) Place the greased Dutch oven over moderate heat and add the green pepper, garlic and onion. SautÃ© till the vegetables are soft. Keep stirring frequently.
3) Add the water, crushed red pepper flakes, black beans and salt. Mix well.
4) Bring the mixture to a boil, cover and reduce the heat.
5) Gently simmer, occasionally stirring, for about 15 minutes.
6) Uncover and add the vinegar and tomato paste.
7) Cook for another 15 minutes, till the mixture has thickened.
8) Over Â¾ cup of rice, pour the preparation and evenly top with sliced green onion, nonfat yogurt and chopped tomatoes and serve.