Rice With Zucchini
|Small zucchini||1 Pound, cut into 1/2 thick slices|
|Olive oil||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Garlic||1 Clove (5 gm), minced|
|Dried basil leaves||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Onion||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs), finely chopped|
|Italian rice/Long grain rice||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Chicken broth||5 Cup (80 tbs)|
|Parmesan cheese||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs), grated|
1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
2. In a 2-quart flameproof casserole or saucepan heat half the oil over moderate heat.
3. When hot add zucchini slices and fry until lightly browned.
4. Use a slotted spoon to remove the zucchini slices to a plate.
5. Add remaining oil and heat.
6. Add the onion, basil and garlic, and sautÃ© for 5 minutes or until softened but not browned.
7. Increase heat to moderate and add rice. Saute another few minutes until rice is transparent.
8. Pour in the broth and bring to a boil.
9. Cover casserole with lid and transfer it to the middle level of the preheated oven.
Bake rice, for about 20 minutes, or until stock is absorbed.
10. Stir in the zucchini slices and top with cheese.
11. Bake uncovered for 5 minutes.
12. Turn off oven, cover casserole and let stand for 5 minutes.
13. Serve the rice hot straight from the casserole along with a stew.
Calories 588 Calories from Fat 277
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 31 g47.9%
Saturated Fat 5.2 g25.9%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 5.7 mg1.9%
Sodium 911.4 mg38%
Total Carbohydrates 64 g21.4%
Dietary Fiber 4.3 g17.4%
Sugars 7.3 g
Protein 13 g26.8%
Vitamin A 10.3% Vitamin C 66.5%
Calcium 14.4% Iron 6.6%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet