Brown Rice Pie
|Vanilla bean/1 teaspoon vanilla extract||1 Inch|
|Brown rice||150 Milliliter (2/3 Cup)|
|Eggs||2 Small, separated|
|Honey||30 Milliliter (2 Tablespoons)|
|Skim milk||60 Milliliter (1/4 Cup)|
|Active dry yeast||2 Teaspoon|
|Lukewarm water||60 Milliliter (1/4 Cup)|
|Corn oil||15 Milliliter (1 Tablespoon)|
|Whole wheat flour||375 Milliliter (1 1/2 Cups)|
1) Preheat oven hot to 400°F (200°C.).
2) In a heavy-bottom saucepan add the milk, honey, vanilla and rice. Boil over medium heat. This would be the filling mixture.
3) Reduce heat and simmer for about 40 to 45 minutes.
4) Cook the rice till just tender with some milk remaining in the pan.
5) To prepare the crust, scald the milk and set aside.
6) In a medium bowl add lukewarm water. Dissolve yeast and honey in it.
7) Blend in yeast mixture with oil and lukewarm milk.
8) Mix enough flour and mix to make soft dough. Do not knead.
9) Keep aside for 20 minutes to rise.
10) To prepare the rice filling, remove the rice when done and take out the vanilla bean, if desired.
11) In a small bowl blend egg yolks with the honey.
12) In a medium bowl whip the egg whites with a whisk or eggbeater until stiff.
13) Cool the rice mixture, stir some of the rice into the egg yolks. Add the yolks to the remaining rice mixture.
14) Mix stiffly beaten egg whites.
15) After the dough rises, roll out and put dough in a 9-inch (23-cm) pie plate.
16) Trim the dough and flute the edges to fit.
17) With a fork prick bottom of pie shell and fill with the rice mixture.
18) Bake in oven for 30 minutes.
19) Serve warm.