Braised Veal and Rice
|Salt pork||1⁄8 Pound, 1/2-inch diced (1/2 Cup)|
|Boneless veal shoulder/Boneless neck / breast||2 Pound, cut into 1 1/2-inch cubes|
|Boneless veal shoulder/Boneless neck or breast||2 Pound, cut into l 1/2-inch cubes|
|Freshly ground black pepper||To Taste|
|Onions||1 Cup (16 tbs), finely chopped|
|Onions||1 Cup (16 tbs), finley chopped|
|Hungarian paprika||1⁄2 Teaspoon (Sweet)|
|Chicken stock||1 Cup (16 tbs) (Fresh Or Canned)|
|Uncooked rice||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Parmesan cheese||2 Tablespoon, grated (Optional)|
1) Preheat the oven to 350Â°.
2) In a heavy 10-inch skillet, heat the lard over high heat until a light haze forms over it, then adds the salt pork.
3) When the pork is browned on all sides, remove it with a slotted spoon to drain on a thick paper towels.
4) Pat the veal cubes dry with paper towels and brown them in the skillet over medium heat, adding more lard as needed.
5) As the veal cubes brown, transfer them with a slotted spoon into a 3-quart casserole.
6) Sprinkle them with salt and pepper.
7) Pour off the fat from the skillet, leaving only a thin film.
8) Add the onions and cook them, stirring frequently, for about 8 to 10 minutes, or until they are lightly colored.
9) Take off the heat and stir in the paprika, continue to stir until the onions are well coated.
10) Return the skillet to the heat and add the chicken stock.
11) Bring it to a boil, stirring in any brown bits that cling to the bottom and sides of the skillet.
12) Pour the onions and stock over the veal and stir in the diced salt pork.
13) Bring the casserole to a boil on top of the stove, cover it tightly and bake in the middle of the oven for about 50 minutes, or until the veal shows only slight resistance when tested with the point of a sharp knife.
14) At this point, stir in the rice, cover the casserole again and bake for about 25 to 30 minutes more, or until the rice is tender and has absorbed all the liquid in the pan.
15) Stir with a fork once or twice during the cooking period and add 1 or 2 tablespoons of stock or water if necessary.
16) Remove from the oven, stir in the cheese if you wish, and serve.