Yellow Fried Rice
|Basmati rice||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Green peas||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Water||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Asafoetida||1 Pinch (Hing)|
|Cumin seed||1 Teaspoon (Jeera)|
|Mustard seed||1 Teaspoon (Rai)|
|Whole red chilies||4 (Sabut Lal Mirch)|
|Bay leaves||2 (Tajpatta)|
|Cinnamon stick||1⁄2 Tablespoon (1 Inch)|
|Salt||1 Teaspoon (Adjust To Taste)|
|Cayenne pepper||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
1. Wash rice gently and soak it for at least 15 minutes prior to cooking.
2. After cooking rice expands to about three times in volume, so be sure to use the proper size pan.
3. Drain the rice and put into the saucepan. Add the water, green peas, 1 teaspoon of oil, and salt; bring it to boil and turn the heat to low and cover the pan.
4. Cook for about 15 minutes, or until the rice is tender and the water has evaporated. Turn off the heat and fluff the rice with a fork.
5. In a frying pan, heat oil on medium high temperature. Test the heat by adding one cumin seed to the oil; if seed cracks right away oil is ready.
6. Add asafetida, cumin seeds, and mustard seeds.
7. After the seeds crack, add red chilies, bay leaves, and cinnamon stick and stir-fry for few seconds.
8. Add rice, turmeric, and cayenne pepper to the frying pan; mix it gently.
9. Stir-fry for about 5 to 6 minutes.
10. Serve hot with soup, dal or yogurt.
Calories 307 Calories from Fat 110
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 12 g19.2%
Saturated Fat 1.6 g8.2%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 491.9 mg20.5%
Total Carbohydrates 44 g14.7%
Dietary Fiber 3.3 g13.4%
Sugars 1.8 g
Protein 5 g10.4%
Vitamin A 8.3% Vitamin C 37.4%
Calcium 6.2% Iron 13.1%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet