Genoese Rice Balls
|Uncooked rice||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Sliced salami||6 Ounce, coarsely chopped (1 Package)|
|Eggs||2 , separated|
|Tomato sauce||8 Ounce (1 Can)|
|Grated parmesan cheese||3 Tablespoon|
|Fine dry bread crumbs||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Basil leaf||1⁄2 Teaspoon, crumbled|
1) Cook the rice as per the package directions.
2) Fold in the salami, egg yolks, 2 tablespoons tomato sauce and Parmesan cheese, blend well.
3) Shape the mixture into 12 balls, with about 1/4 cup for each ball.
4) In a pie plate, slightly beat the egg whites and spread bread crumbs in another pie plate.
5) Gently coat the rice balls in egg white, then evenly coat with the bread crumbs.
6) Refrigerate for several hours or until firm.
7) In a small heavy saucepan, pour vegetable oil to a 3-inch depth and heat to 375°F.
8) Fry the rice balls in batches, turning once for about 4 minutes or until golden.
9) Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on a paper towel, keep warm.
10) In a small saucepan, gently heat rest of the tomato sauce with basil, stirring 1-2 times until bubbly.
11) On a warm deep platter, arrange the rice balls, spoon over the sauce and serve immediately.
Calories 723 Calories from Fat 197
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 22 g33.9%
Saturated Fat 9.3 g46.3%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 249.5 mg83.2%
Sodium 1087.5 mg45.3%
Total Carbohydrates 96 g31.9%
Dietary Fiber 4.4 g17.5%
Sugars 7.3 g
Protein 35 g70%
Vitamin A 20.2% Vitamin C 25.1%
Calcium 35.9% Iron 26.3%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet