Temple Fried Rice
|Carrots||2 Medium, trimmed|
|Celery heart||1 , trimmed|
|Pine nuts||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Corn oil/Peanut oil||5 Tablespoon|
|Eggs||3 Large, beaten|
|Chinese rice wine/Dry sherry||2 Teaspoon|
|Cooked rice||3 1⁄2 Cup (56 tbs) (At Room Temperature)|
|Kosher salt/2 tablespoons light soy sauce||1 Teaspoon|
1) Cut the carrots in half lengthwise. After laying the halves flat and cut in half, lengthwise, once again. Grasp the pieces firmly together and cut crosswise into small, fan-shaped pieces about 1/8-inch in thickness. Cut enough carrots to measure about 2/3 cups. Place in a small bowl.
2) Slice the celery heart, leaves and all thinly and cut the stalks lengthwise into fourths. Grasp the celery pieces firmly in a tight bunch and cut crosswise into thin arcs. Measure out about ½ cup and keep aside in a small bowl.
3) In a small heavy skillet, toast the pine nuts till they are light golden in color and fragrant. This usually takes about 3 minutes when heat is set to medium- high. Shake the pan so that the nuts do not brown. Put the nuts into a saucer and keep aside.
4) Place a wok or skillet over high heat and heat it enough to evaporate a bead of water immediately as soon as it comes in contact with the surface. Add 2 ½ tablespoons of oil and swirl around to coat the pan. Bring the heat down to medium-high and add beaten eggs to the pan. The eggs should at once puff and bubble. Pause for about 3 seconds till a film of cooked egg has set on the bottom. Tip the pan towards you and push the cooked eggs away gently with a wooden spoon. Pause for about 2 more seconds and let another film of cooked egg set on the bottom. Push the egg to far side of the pan. Onto a flat plate, turn out the soft preparation and slice it into dime-sized silvers or bits. The egg should be yellow, damp and loosely set. When combined with rice, it will cook completely.
5) Over medium-high heat, heat a wok or skillet till it is hot enough to evaporate a bead of water as soon as it comes in contact with the surface. Add 2 tablespoons of oil and swirl around to coat the pan. When the oil is hot enough, add the carrots and stir fry quickly for about 15 seconds so that the pieces are glazed with oil and thoroughly heated.
6) Add the celery and quickly toss for about 10 seconds. Scatter the sherry or wine into the pan and mix by tossing once again.
7) At once add the rice and toss quickly once again to combine. Bring the heat down if the rice starts to scorch and drizzle in some more oil from the side if the rice starts to stick. Keep tossing till the rice is thoroughly heated.
8) Sprinkle the soy sauce or salt all over the rice and toss quickly to blend. Taste and if required, add more seasoning.
9) Put the eggs back in the pan and toss gently for 10 seconds to just combine and heat properly.
10) In a serving bowl, put the rice and scatter the pine nuts all over. Gently toss to combine.
11) Serve hot.