Sage Chicken and Rice
|Onion||1 Large, chopped|
|Garlic||1 Clove (5 gm), crushed|
|Celery sticks||2 , sliced|
|Carrots||2 , diced|
|Fresh sage sprigs||2|
|Chicken stock||1⁄2 Pint (300 Milliliter Or 1 1/4 Cups)|
|Boneless skinless chicken breasts||12 Ounce (350 Gram)|
|Brown and wild rice||8 Ounce, mixed (225 Gram Or 1 1/3 Cups)|
|Canned chopped tomatoes||14 Ounce (400 Gram)|
|Tabasco sauce||1 Dash|
|Courgettes||2 Medium, trimmed and thinly sliced (Or Zucchini)|
|Lean ham||3 1⁄2 Ounce, diced (100 Gram)|
|Fresh sage||1 Teaspoon (To Garnish)|
1. Place the onion, garlic, celery, carrots and sprigs of fresh sage in a large saucepan and pour in the chicken stock. Bring to the boil, cover the pan and simmer for 5 minutes.
2. Cut the chicken into 2.5 cm/1 inch cubes and stir into the pan with the vegetables. Cover the pan and continue to cook for a further 5 minutes.
3. Stir in the rice and chopped tomatoes. Add a dash of Tabasco sauce to taste and season well. Bring to the boil, cover and simmer for 25 minutes.
4. Stir in the sliced courgettes (zucchini) and diced ham and continue to cook, uncovered, for a further 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the rice is just tender.
5. Remove and discard the sprigs of sage. Garnish with a few sage leaves and serve with a fresh salad and fresh crusty bread.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 1808 Calories from Fat 199
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 23 g35%
Saturated Fat 6.2 g31.2%
Trans Fat 0.1 g
Cholesterol 248.3 mg82.8%
Sodium 3038 mg126.6%
Total Carbohydrates 274 g91.3%
Dietary Fiber 29.8 g119%
Sugars 35.7 g
Protein 131 g262.2%
Vitamin A 547.6% Vitamin C 255.6%
Calcium 49.1% Iron 87.3%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet