Sage Chicken And Rice
|Onion||1 Large, chopped|
|Garlic||1 Clove (5 gm), crushed|
|Celery sticks||2 , sliced|
|Carrots||2 , diced|
|Fresh sage sprigs||2|
|Chicken stock||1⁄2 Pint (300 Milliliter Or 1 1/4 Cups)|
|Boneless skinless chicken breasts||12 Ounce (350 Gram)|
|Brown and wild rice||8 Ounce, mixed (225 Gram Or 1 1/3 Cups)|
|Canned chopped tomatoes||14 Ounce (400 Gram)|
|Tabasco sauce||1 Dash|
|Courgettes||2 Medium, trimmed and thinly sliced (Or Zucchini)|
|Lean ham||3 1⁄2 Ounce, diced (100 Gram)|
|Fresh sage||1 Teaspoon (To Garnish)|
1. Place the onion, garlic, celery, carrots and sprigs of fresh sage in a large saucepan and pour in the chicken stock. Bring to the boil, cover the pan and simmer for 5 minutes.
2. Cut the chicken into 2.5 cm/1 inch cubes and stir into the pan with the vegetables. Cover the pan and continue to cook for a further 5 minutes.
3. Stir in the rice and chopped tomatoes. Add a dash of Tabasco sauce to taste and season well. Bring to the boil, cover and simmer for 25 minutes.
4. Stir in the sliced courgettes (zucchini) and diced ham and continue to cook, uncovered, for a further 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the rice is just tender.
5. Remove and discard the sprigs of sage. Garnish with a few sage leaves and serve with a fresh salad and fresh crusty bread.