Wild Rice Sausage and Cherry Stuffing
|Uncooked wild rice||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs), picked over and rinsed|
|Water||2 1⁄2 Cup (40 tbs), divided|
|Low carb bread slices||4 , cut into 1/2-inch cubes (Use White Bread)|
|Sweet italian sausage||12 Ounce|
|Unsalted butter||4 Tablespoon (Use 1/2 Stick)|
|Celery stalks with leaves||3 , diced to make 1 1/2 cup|
|Chopped onion||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Chopped fresh parsley||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Dried sour cherries||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs)|
|Poultry seasoning||1 Tablespoon|
|Lower sodium chicken broth||1 1⁄4 Cup (20 tbs)|
1. Combine wild rice, 1 1/2 cups of the water, and a generous pinch of salt in a small saucepan; bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer until tender, 40 to 45 minutes. Drain and set aside.
2. Heat oven to 350°F. Set bread cubes on a jelly-roll pan in a single layer. Bake, stirring once, until crispy, 10 to 14 minutes. Transfer to a large bowl.
3. Meanwhile, remove sausage from casing; crumble into a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Cook, stirring frequently to break up clumps, until cooked through and lightly browned, about 12 minutes. Add to bread.
4. Return skillet to medium heat; add butter. When melted, add celery and onion; cook, stirring frequently, until tender, about 10 minutes. Add to bread mixture, then stir in parsley, cherries, poultry seasoning, pepper, and wild rice. Mix well. Stir in 1 cup of the chicken broth; add more if the stuffing still looks dry.
5. Transfer the stuffing to a large baking dish. Cover with foil and bake 30 minutes, then uncover and continue baking until lightly browned and heated through, 15 minutes longer.