Black Beans and Rice
|Dried black beans||1 Pound|
|Olive oil||2 Tablespoon|
|Tomato||1 Medium, peeled|
|Green pepper||1⁄2 Medium|
|Garlic||2 Clove (10 gm), minced|
|Olive oil||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Chopped onion||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Chopped green pepper||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Ground oregano||1 Teaspoon|
|Ground cumin||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Wine vinegar||2 Tablespoon|
|Hot pepper sauce||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Hot cooked rice||4 Cup (64 tbs)|
|Chopped onion||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Vegetable oil||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Vinegar||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs)|
1) Properly sort the beans and wash under running cold water.
2) In a large Dutch oven, place the beans. Pour in water to cover the beans and 2 inches more.
3) Allow the beans to soak for overnight.
4) Stir in 2 tablespoons olive oil, tomato, bay leaf, 1 onion, 1/2 green pepper and half of garlic in to the Dutch oven.
5) Place this over high heat and bring the liquid to a boil.
6) Reduce heat to low and cover the Dutch oven with a lid to simmer for another 2 to 3 hours or until the beans are thoroughly ready. You may add extra water, in case it evaporates.
7) Discard the bay leaf, any remaining tomato, onion, green pepper and garlic from the cooked beans.
8) In a medium skillet, add 1/2 cup olive oil to heat up.
9) Add 1/4 cup chopped onion and 1/2 cup chopped green pepper to sauté until translucent.
10) Add remaining garlic, oregano, cumin, salt and wine vinegar.
11) Reduce heat to low and cook for another 2 minutes by frequent stirring.
12) Season the cooked bean with this mixture. Sprinkle pepper sauce and combine all together.
13) In a jar, add vegetable oil and vinegar to shake thoroughly. Keep it aside,
14) Serve the beans with warm rice by topping with chopped onion. Season with the oil-vinegar mixture on top.
Calories 681 Calories from Fat 345
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 39 g60.1%
Saturated Fat 5.4 g26.9%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 733.5 mg30.6%
Total Carbohydrates 68 g22.8%
Dietary Fiber 10.2 g41%
Sugars 3.4 g
Protein 15 g30.7%
Vitamin A 4.9% Vitamin C 32.3%
Calcium 9.8% Iron 27.7%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet