Rice and Chicken Puerto Rican
|Chickens||6 Pound (2 whole, 3 pound each)|
|Salad oil/Olive oil||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Green peppers||2 Large|
|Tomato paste||3⁄4 Can (7.5 oz) (1 small can)|
|Canned tomatoes||1 Quart (1 can)|
|Water||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Rice||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Fresh mushrooms||1 Pound|
|Peas||2 Cup (32 tbs) (canned or cooked)|
|Stuffed olives||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
1. Cut the chickens in quarters.
2. Heat the oil in large iron pot. Grind onions, peppers and garlic fine. Put in the oil to fry until the onions are tender.
3. Add the tomato paste, tomatoes and water. Add bay leaves, seasonings. Add chicken. Cover. Steam 45 minutes or until tender.
4. Add the washed rice. Turn heat very low. Keep covered. After 10 minutes, turn rice carefully to cook equally. When almost done add the vinegar, mushrooms and peas.
5. When ready to serve, take out the chicken. Pour the rice mixture in a mound on a large warmed platter, arrange the chicken around the edge of the mound. Garnish with pimiento olives and parsley.