Shrimp Curry with Coconut Almond Rice
|Chicken broth||2 3⁄4 Cup (44 tbs) (Preferably Reduced-Sodium Variety)|
|Rice||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Olive oil||2 Tablespoon|
|Garlic||3 Clove (15 gm), minced|
|Onion||1 Medium, coarsely chopped|
|Medium shrimp||1 Pound, shelled and deveined|
|Green bell pepper||1 Large, cut into 1 inch pieces|
|Curry powder||3 Tablespoon|
|Low fat milk||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Cilantro sprigs||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs) (From A Pack)|
|Sweetened shredded coconut||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs)|
|Sliced almonds||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
1. In a medium saucepan, bring 2 cups of the broth to a boil over high heat. Add the rice, reduce the heat to low, cover, and cook until the rice is tender, about 20 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, warm 1 tablespoon of the oil over medium-high heat. Add the garlic and onion, and stir-fry until the onion begins to brown, about 3 minutes.
3. Stir in the remaining 1 tablespoon oil, the shrimp, and bell pepper, and stir-fry for 2 minutes. Stir in the curry powder and flour, and cook, stirring, until the flour and curry powder are completely incorporated.
4. Stir in the remaining 3/4 cup broth, the milk, and cilantro (if using), and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer until the shrimp are cooked through and the bell pepper is tender, about 2 minutes.
5. When the rice is done, stir in the coconut and almonds. Serve the rice with the shrimp curry spooned on top.