Brown Rice With Chicken And Herbs
|Water||2 1⁄4 Cup (36 tbs)|
|Brown rice||1 Cup (16 tbs), uncooked|
|Chicken breasts||2 , skinned and boned (4 Halves)|
|Minced parsley||2 Tablespoon|
|Dried tarragon||1⁄4 Teaspoon, crumbled|
|Dried basil||1⁄4 Teaspoon, crumbled|
|Dried thyme||1⁄4 Teaspoon, crumbled|
|Dried rosemary||1⁄4 Teaspoon, crumbled|
|All purpose flour||2 Tablespoon|
|Yellow onions||2 Medium, peeled and thinly sliced|
|Chicken broth||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Tomato paste/Ketchup||3 Tablespoon|
1. Bring the water to a boil with 1/2 teaspoon of the salt in a 2-quart saucepan. Add the rice, lower the heat, cover, and simmer for 40 minutes. The rice will be chewy.
2. While the rice is cooking, cut the chicken breast halves crosswise into 1/2-inch strips and set aside. In a small bowl, combine the parsley, tarragon, basil, thyme, rosemary, flour, and the remaining 1/4 teaspoon of salt. Set aside.
3. About 15 minutes before the rice is done, melt the butter in a heavy 12-inch skillet over moderate heat. Add the onions, and cook, uncovered, for 5 minutes, or until soft.
4. Push the onions to one side of the skillet. Add the chicken, and cook, stirring, for 3 minutes. The chicken will be pink. Add the herb mixture, stir thoroughly, and cook, uncovered, for 1 minute.
5. Add the chicken broth and tomato paste. Bring to a boil, and cook, stirring, for 3 minutes, or until the sauce has thickened. Pour the chicken and sauce over the rice, and serve.