Pigeon Peas Rice
|Achiote/Sazon||1 Tablespoon (Find It In The Spanish Section Of The Supermarket)|
|Lipstcik/Sazon (find it in the spanish section of the supermarket)||1 Tablespoon (achiote)|
|Rice||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Vegetable oil||2 Tablespoon|
|Water||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Cooking ham/Pork chop seasoned with salt and pepper||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Pigeon peas||16 Ounce|
|Onions||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs) (Small Dice)|
|Green cuban peppers||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs) (Small Dice)|
1. Heat the oil.
2. Add the vetable oil.
3. Add ham or pork chop cook for two minutes at high temperature.
4. Add the peppers, onions, cilantro, salt, pepper and cumin. Cook for 4 minutes.
5. Add the beef base, lipstick (achiote o sazon) and cook for 2 minutes.
6. Add pigeon peas and mix well, add rice. Make sure the rice is that pretty orange color.
7. Add water, cover rice, the water should be ½ inch over the rice. A good trick to know if you have enough water in your rice is to put a large spoon in the middle and if it stays standing up, it means you have enough water. Taste the water and add more salt and pepper if necessary.
8. When the rice absorbs all the water, mix and create a dome in the center of the pot. Cover the rice and lower the temperature to low. Cook covered for 20 minutes. Try not to open the lid because you will let the vapor out. And this makes your cooking time longer.