Sizzling Rice With Shrimp
|Rice crusts||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Stock||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Oil||2 Cup (32 tbs) (For Deep Frying)|
1. Shell and devein shrimp. Combine cornstarch, sherry and salt; then add to shrimp and toss to coat. Break rice crusts in 2-inch pieces.
2. Heat oil. Add shrimp and stir-fry until pinkish; then remove from pan.
3. Heat stock, sugar and catsup; and cook, stirring, 2 minutes.
4. Blend remaining cornstarch and cold water to a paste; then stir in to thicken mixture. Add shrimp to this sauce and cook 1 to 2 minutes to reheat. Keep warm.
5. Meanwhile heat remaining oil. Add rice crusts and deep-fry until they float to the top and are pale gold. Drain quickly; arrange on a heated serving platter.
6. Immediately pour hot shrimp and their sauce over deep-fried crusts and serve. (The initial contact between the two will make the rice sizzle.)