Holiday Vegan Diet is the diet followed by vegans during festivities and special celebrations. It is in keeping with the normal principles of Vegan eating practices. Owing to religious or health reasons and considering the ethical perspective, a large number of people are making a conscious switch to the Vegan way of life. As such the term ‘vegan’ refers to the vegetarian diet that excludes meat, fish, fowl, eggs, dairy products and any form of foods processed using animal products such as certain wines or refined sugars.
Veganism has, in reality, been practiced for many thousands of years as revealed in the historical scriptures. In fact, several verses in the Bible prove that the vegan way of life has been in existence since many centuries. Natural local produce and organic foods have grown to prominence as an integral part of Vegan Diet. The holiday season and special events in life have also been celebrated with true spirit and fervour, methodically adopting vegan food preparation techniques that have continued to be augmented down the years.
Features of Holiday Vegan Diet
- The Holiday Vegan Diet makes use of all kinds of grains, legumes, beans, fruits and vegetables in the preparation of a variety of vegan delicacies for special occasions. Vegan Holiday meals offer the traditional comfort and flavours to homely holiday meals. They may not necessarily be low-fat, but employ the use of plenty of low calorie grains and vegetables.
- Planning a holiday vegan diet that meets daily nutrient requirements requires some creative thinking.
- Complex Carbohydrates come from whole grain cereals, legumes, pulses, potatoes, sweet potatoes other vegetables and greens etc.
- Proteins from lentils, nuts, beans and also dried fruits.
- Some amounts of healthy fats are obtained from seeds and nuts.
- Vitamin B12 is one nutrient does not have adequate plant sources and is therefore a concern that must be resolved by use of fortified cereals, soy products and some Asian foods such as tempeh and miso. Most other vitamins and mineral are obtained from vegan foods.
- Simple modifications by using vegan-friendly ingredients can turn a normal meal into a vegan spread. Delectable dishes can be prepared by replacing meat by beans or textured soya vegetable protein that resembles meat in texture, eg. Bean Burritos. Similarly, soups, casseroles, stews can be made vegan.
Holiday Vegan Diet Menu Plan
A complete 8 course meal can be worked out following the vegan cooking philosophies –
- Appetizer or snack: Something as creative as Artichoke bottoms with potato stuffing to something as simple as roasted pumpkin seeds may be offered as appetizers. Other options include assorted spiced nuts with avocado dip.
- Soups and salads: Vegetable lentil soup, Cream of Asparagus, Fragrant French Onion and parsley soup or Ginger and carrot soup are healthy options. Spinach, Beetroot, Orange salad with vinaigrette dressing.
- Entrees: Autumn Harvest vegetable casserole or Savoury mushroom pot pie.
- Side Dishes: Potato mash with low-fat cream and chives or Roasted sweet potatoes with Rosemary.
- Gravies: Shallots in red wine gravy or Pumpkin in browned garlic gravy.
- Faux Turkey: Vegetarian turkey breast stuffed with cranberry and wild-rice. In place of traditional fowl, vegan alternatives are available. The stuffing can be prepared using vegetable broth in place of the traditional meat broth.
- Desserts: Apple Crumble, Pumpkin Cheesecake, Apple Bavarian Tart, Orange Flaky Crusty Pie are healthy options when prepared with minimal fat.
Benefits of Holiday Vegan Diet
Avoiding meats, dairy and eggs can have a positive impact on the lipid profile as well as blood pressure. Plenty of healthy fats form part of the Holiday Vegan Diet from sources such as nuts, seeds etc. Phytoestrogens from soy products and anti-oxidants from vegetables, fruits and nuts are beneficial.
Familiar dishes prepared in refreshing ways such as brown rice, seasoned with flavourful herbs, topped with roasted sunflower seeds and served with a sprinkling of lemon juice can make the Holiday Vegan Diet nutritious, appealing and enjoyable to the palate.