The Oberoi brand of hotels and resorts is headquartered at Delhi, India. They have a chain of hotels and resorts which add upto a total of 28 hotels and 3 cruise liners. Currently they operate out of 5 countries. They have a number of accolades and awards from Travel + Leisure, Conde Nast Traveler, USA and Forbes.
The Oberoi group of hotels and resorts was founded by Rai Bahadur Mohan Singh Oberoi, in 1934. He bought two hotels called The Clarke’s Hotel, in Delhi and in Simla, from an Englishman called Mr.Clarke, who owned the East India Hotels. In order to buy these hotels he took a calculated risk and mortgaged his wife’s jewellery. This risk paid off and the Oberoi group achieved the pinnacles of success in the hospitality industry.
Soon after, approximately four years later, he entered into a lease to run the Grand Hotel in Calcutta which had 500 rooms. He successfully accomplished this task and very soon bought the hotel and since then it has been called The Oberoi Grand Hotel, Kolkata.
Chain of Hotels across the World
- The Oberoi Amarvilas, Agra – This is a luxury hotel in Agra not very far from one of the seven wonders of the world – The Taj Mahal, a monument of love. It has an average of 85% foreign occupancy round the year, being a tourist destination. Most rooms offer a view of the magnificent Taj Mahal. It has been ranked the 4th best in Asia and 14th best in the world, by Travel + Leisure, United States for 2011.
- The Oberoi, Bangalore – This is a luxury hotel located on M.G. Road, in the heart of the city centre. Keeping with the cities reputation of being a garden city, the hotel is resplendent with greenery in abundance. It has been ranked the best hotel in Bangalore, in 2008, by Finance Asia.
- The Oberoi Cecil, Shimla – This is a Grand Heritage hotel located 7000 feet above in Himalayas and has been awarded the 7th best luxury hotel of India, in 2009, by TripAdvisor.
- The Oberoi Grand, Calcutta – This is the oldest hotel having been around for 125 years and more. It is both a business as well as leisure hotel. It has been ranked the 2nd best luxury hotel of India, for 2010 by TripAdvisor.
- The Oberoi, Gurgaon – This is located just 15 minutes from the airport in the country’s capital, with over 202 rooms and suites. It has been awarded the world’s leading luxury hotel, 2011 by World Travel Awards.
- The Oberoi, Mumbai – The hotel is located on the Marine Drive at Nariman Point and ranked amongst the top city hotels of Asia, 2011 by Travel + Leisure, USA.
- The Oberoi, New Delhi – It is a 30 minute drive from the airport and was the first hotel to provide 24 hour personal butler service.
- The Oberoi Rajvilas, Jaipur – It has beautiful gardens, fountains, pools and reminds of the rich cultural heritage of the Pink city. It has been awarded the 3rd best in Asia and the 8th best in the world, by Travel + Leisure, USA in 2011.
- The Oberoi Udaivilas, Udaipur – Situated on Lake Pichoula it is a witness to the magnificent palaces and blue lakes. It has been awarded the best hotel in Asia and the 5th best in the world by Travel + Leisure, 2011.
- The Oberoi Vanyavilas, Ranthambore – This is the jungle resort next to the Ranthambore Tiger Reserve and has been ranked the best resort in Asia and world, 2010.
- Wildflower Hall, Shimla – Situated in the Himalayas, it is surrounded by snow capped peaks and colonial structure, it was awarded the 2nd best luxury hotel in Asia, 2011 by Conde Nast Traveller, UK.
- Mena House Oberoi – This is located in the city of Cairo barely 700 metres from the Great Pyramids of Giza. The interiors are done up with rare artefacts and antique objects to match up to the historical significance of the city and most rooms offer a view of the pyramid. It has been ranked the 8th best city hotel in Africa and Middle East, 2011, by Travel + Leisure, US.
- The Oberoi, Sahl Hasheesh – This is a luxury resort located on the Red Sea Coast and spread over 48 acres. The magnificent architecture is resplendent with domes, arches and towers. It has been ranked the best resort on the Red Sea, in 2009 by the Tourism of Egypt.
- The Oberoi, Bali – This is a resort located on the Seminyak beach on the south west coast of Bali overlooking the Indian Ocean. It is about 9 km from the airport and offers dainty thatched roof villas, private swimming pools and unique garden bathrooms. It has been ranked among the top 20 resorts in Asia, by Conde Nast Traveler, US in 2009.
- The Oberoi, Lombok – This is not very different – a resort with scenic beauty, tropical gardens, blue ocean and golden beaches. It is built on the Medana Beach. It has been ranked the 5th best hotel of Asia, for 2011, by Conde Nast Traveller, United Kingdom.
- The Oberoi, Mauritius – This resort is located 15 km from the city of Port Louis on the Turtle Bay and has a 600 metres beachfront, offering tropical gardens and scenic beauty in the surroundings. They also have villas with private swimming pools overlooking the Indian Ocean.
- The Oberoi, Madina – This is located only 15 minutes from the airport, in the heart of the city, in Madina AlMunawara and overlooks the famous Masjid AlNabawi AlSharief – the Prophet’s Mosque – the most important tourist attraction of the city.
United Arab Emirates
- The Oberoi, Dubai – This is the latest entrant to the Oberoi group and scheduled to be operational from the third quarter of 2012. It is located in the Business Bay – not very far from the main city centre. It consists of 250 rooms and suites and has been designed with windows all around so as to give a sense of height, space and light. It has a multi cuisine restaurant, an Indian speciality restaurant and a Pan Asian restaurant. It also boasts of a roof top bar with a beautiful view of the entire city.