|All purpose flour||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Baking soda||1 Teaspoon|
|Brown sugar||1 1⁄4 Cup (20 tbs)|
|White sugar||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Butter||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Eggs||2 , separated into yolks and whites|
|Vanilla extract||1 Teaspoon|
|Crushed walnuts||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Raspberry jam||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs)|
1. Preheat an oven to 175C (350F).
2. In a small bowl, combine raspberry jam and water and mix well using a whisk. Keep aside
3. In a medium sized bowl, combine flour, soda, ¼ cup brown sugar, white sugar, ½ cup butter, 2 egg yolks and milk. Mix well.
4. Place prepared mixture on to a 9 inch x 9 inch pan and press evenly.
5. Using a pastry brush, spread raspberry jam evenly. Ensure it-€™s a thin coat and not too thick.
6. In a medium sized bowl, combine remaining butter, 1 cup brown sugar, egg whites, salt, vanilla extract and walnuts. Mix well.
7. Spread this walnut mixture evenly on to jam layer and bake in pre heated oven for 30 minutes.
8. Once baked, remove from oven and keep aside to cool.
9. Cut into slices and serve with raspberry compote.