Raisin, Almond and Grapefruit Loaf
|Seedless raisins||1 Pound, roughly chopped (450 g)|
|Water||75 Milliliter (5 tablespoons)|
|Self raising flour||3⁄4 Pound (350 g)|
|Baking powder||1 Teaspoon (5 ml)|
|Butter||2 Ounce (50 g)|
|Castor sugar||2 Ounce (50 g)|
|Almonds||4 Ounce, blanched, roughly chopped (100 g)|
|Milk||45 Milliliter (3 tablespoons)|
|Frozen grapefruit juice concentrate||75 Milliliter, thawed (5 tablespoons)|
|Eggs||2 , beaten|
|Grapefruit||1 , segmented and rind grated|
|Castor sugar||1 Tablespoon (for sprinkling as garnish)|
1) Take a 1 kg/2 lb loaf tin and grease it or line with greased greaseproof paper or non-stick parchment.
2) Heat the oven moderately to (180°C/350°F or Gas Mark 4) .
3) In a pan, put the raisins and water and cook gently until the raisins are plump and tender.
4) Meanwhile, in a bowl, sift the flour and baking powder and rub in the butter until crumbly.
5) Add the sugar and nuts, then add the raisin mixture, the milk, grapefruit juice and eggs.
6) Mix well until completely blend, then beat in the grapefruit rind and segments.
7) In the prepared tin, spoon the mixture.
8) Bake in the preheated moderate oven for 1 hour or until a skewer inserted into the centre of the loaf comes out clean.
9) Let the loaf to cool in the tin, then turn out and remove the paper lining.
10) Wrap the loaf in foil and pack in a freezer bag.
11) Seal the bag, label and freeze.
12) Thaw the loaf at room temperature for 3-4 hours.
13) Sprinkle with (caster) sugar before serving.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 4363 Calories from Fat 1023
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 119 g183.2%
Saturated Fat 38.1 g190.6%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 549.4 mg183.1%
Sodium 4930.8 mg205.4%
Total Carbohydrates 784 g261.2%
Dietary Fiber 42.7 g171%
Sugars 398.5 g
Protein 88 g175.2%
Vitamin A 52.8% Vitamin C 431.4%
Calcium 220.2% Iron 174.3%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet