Rabbit Hot Pot
|Rabbit||8 Ounce (4 portions)|
|Freshly ground black pepper||To Taste|
|Onions||2 Large, peeled and sliced|
|Carrots||2 Large, peeled and sliced|
|Chicken stock||1⁄2 Pint (450 ml)|
|Prepared mustard||2 Teaspoon|
|Parsley||1 Tablespoon, freshly chopped|
|Potatoes||1 Pound, peeled and finely sliced (450 g)|
|Dripping/Lard||1 Ounce (25 g)|
1) Preheat the oven to 160°C/325°F or Gas Mark 3.
2) Dredge the rabbit in the flour seasoned with salt and pepper to taste.
3) In a casserole dish, place the rabbit portions and add the onions, carrots, stock, mustard and parsley.
4) Cover with the sliced potatoes and brush with the melted dripping.
5) Cover and cook in the preheated oven for 1 1/2 to 2 hours, then uncover and increase the heat to 220°C/425°F or Gas Mark 7.
6) Cook for another 15 minutes, or until the potatoes are browned.
7) If you wish to freeze the recipe do it at this stage. Cover the casserole, then wrap in a freezer bag or foil , seal, label and freeze.
8 Serve the Rabbit Hot Pot straight from the casserole.
9) If using the frozen dish, unwrap and thaw at room temperature for 4 hours. Then reheat in the preheated oven at 180°C/350°F or Gas Mark 4 for about 1 hour, or until thoroughly heated. Serve hot or as indicated in step 8.