|9 inch unbaked pie shell||1|
|Egg white||1 , slightly beaten|
|For the filling|
|Carrots||1⁄2 Pound, pared and cut into 1/4-inch diagonal slices|
|Onion||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), finely chopped|
|Natural swiss cheese||2 Cup (32 tbs), grated|
|Half-and-half||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Nutmeg||1⁄8 Teaspoon, ground|
|Pimiento stuffed olives||1⁄2|
1) Preheat the oven to 375F.
2) Take the pie shell and brush its insides with egg white. Chill in the refrigerator.
3) To make the filling, add carrots and salted water into a medium skillet. Cook on simmer for 20 minutes or till it becomes tender. Drain. Keep aside 5 carrot slices for garnish.
4) In a medium skillet, melt butter and saute onions for 5 minutes. Add in the carrot slices.
5) 4) In the same skillet, fry the bacon till crisp. Drain and crumble the bacon. Sprinkle the crumbs at the base of the pie shell. Sprinkle cheese on top.
6) In a medium bowl, beat the eggs, half-and-half, 1/4 teaspoon salt, nutmeg and pepper with a wire whisk. The mixture should not be frothy.
7) Add in the carrot mixture into the pie shell. Pour the egg mixture on top.
8) Bake the quiche for 40 minutes in the lower oven rack. Let the quiche puff up and turn golden.
9) Let cool down for 10 minutes before serving.
10) Serve the carrot quiche warm, garnished with the reserved carrot slices and the half pimento-stuffed olive.
Calories 367 Calories from Fat 230
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 26 g40.2%
Saturated Fat 14.4 g71.8%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 150.6 mg50.2%
Sodium 342 mg14.3%
Total Carbohydrates 18 g5.9%
Dietary Fiber 0.98 g3.9%
Sugars 3.6 g
Protein 15 g29.3%
Vitamin A 105.6% Vitamin C 4.3%
Calcium 30.3% Iron 3.6%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet