Learn how to make a basic recipe of quiche with all the tricks to make a perfect flaky crust. You will learn how to make Pate Brisee ( the french crust) and a basic onion flavor. By adding Bacon you will make quiche Lorraine, or mushrooms for a mushroom quiche.
For the p te brisee:
65 Gram, cold
For the filling:
3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)
3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)
1 Cup (16 tbs), shredded (Aged is the best option)
1. Preheat the oven to 500 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. For the pate brisee: Mix the flour, salt and sugar together on a dry surface. Make a hole in between the mix and add the cold butter.
3. Using a scrapper, mix the cold butter together the dry mix.
4. Add a little bit of the cold butter and work together. Make sure the mix does not get warm else it will develop glutten.
5. Take little walnut size balls of the dough and push against the counter bits of dough away from you. This method is called fraisage. This helps to incorporate the butter into the dough. Do this to the entire dough.
6. Press downt the dough and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes to an hour.
7. Roll out the dough after refrigerating. Use flour on the surface and then roll onto the springfoam pan. Fold the edges by pressing down.
8. Refrigerate the springfoam pan with the dough for an additional 30 minutes. Once done, add parchment paper and add beans over it to weigh it down.
9. Pop into the oven to bake for 15 minutes until a light golden color is achieved.
9. In a saute pan, add canola oil and add the onions to saute.
8. Add the butter and continue to saute until brown. Set aside.
9. In a bowl, add the milk, heavy cream, eggs, nutmeg and salt and whisk together.
10. Add the 3/4 of the Gruyere cheese and 3/4 of the onions mix and combine together.
11. Add remaining Gruyere cheese and onions onto the prepared springfoam.
12. Add the milk and heavy cream mix over this.
13. Sprinkle some Parmesan cheese over it.
14. Reduce the temperature down to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and bake for 30-35 minutes.
15. Remove from the oven, slice, plate and serve.