Quiche of Bacon and Leeks
|Short crust pastry||1⁄4 Pound|
|Shortcrust pastry||1⁄4 Pound (100 gram)|
|Leeks||1 Pound (450 gram)|
|Bacon rashers||1⁄4 Pound|
|Lean bacon rashers||1⁄4 Pound (100 gram)|
|Butter||1 1⁄2 Ounce (40 gram)|
|Pepper||To Taste, milled|
|Freshly ground pepper||To Taste|
|Cream||1⁄4 Pint (1 1/2 deciliter)|
1) Preheat oven hot to 375°F, 190°C or Gas No. 5
2) Trim the end of leeks and discard outer damaged leaves.
3) Cut green leaves to within 1 inch of the white part.
4) Tear open the leeks and rinse under running cold water.
5) Shred finely.
6) Trim the rinds of bacon rashers and cut.
7) Roll pastry out to a circle little larger than an 8-inch (20-cm) quiche tin or flan ring set on a baking tray.
8) Line with the pastry and trim the edges.
9) Keep aside.
10) In a frying pan melt butter and add bacon. Stir.
11) Add the shredded leeks and mix.
12) Sprinkle salt, pepper, and mix. Cover with lid.
13) Decrease the heat and saute for 20 minutes until leeks are soft.
14) Take off from heat and fill leek and bacon mixture into prepared pastry case.
15) Do not add juices from the pan.
16) Gently add eggs and cream.
17) Pour it over the leek and bacon mixture.
18) Place at the center of oven and bake for 40 minutes.
19) Serve warm.