|Asparagus/Fresh asparagus 2 pkg 10-oz size||1 1⁄2 Pound|
|Frozen asparagus spears||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Piecrust mix||11 Ounce|
|Bacon slices||8 , quartered|
|Natural swiss cheese||1⁄2 Pound, grated|
|Light cream||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
1. Wash asparagus break off and discard tough white portion.
2. With vegetable parer scrape ends of asparagus.
3. Set aside 12 of the best spears about 5 inches long for decoration.
4. Cut rest of asparagus into 1/2-inch pieces.
5. Preheat oven to 375F.
6. In large saucepan, bring 1 quart water to boiling and add salt and asparagus.
7. Bring back to boiling reduce heat and simmer, covered for 5 minutes.
8. Drain and rinse asparagus under cold water.
9. Prepare piecrust as the label directs.
10. On lightly floured pastry cloth, with a stockinette-covered rolling pin, roll pastry to form a 12-inch circle.
11. Use to line an 11-inch pie plate, flute edge and refrigerate.
12. Saute' bacon until crisp and drain on paper towels.
13. Sprinkle bottom of pie shell with bacon, then cheese, cut-up asparagus.
14. In medium bowl, with rotary beater, beat eggs with cream, nutmeg, salt and pepper just until combined.
15. Pour cream mixture into pie shell.
16. Arrange asparagus spears, spoke fashion, on pie and bake 40 minutes just until puffy and golden.
17. Serve warm with garnish as desired.