Zucchini Tomato Quiche
|9 inch whole wheat quiche shell||1 , glazed with egg white, cooled|
|Parmesan cheese||1 Ounce (At Room Temperature)|
|Dried oregano leaf||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Zucchini||8 Ounce, scrubbed|
|Garlic||1 Clove (5 gm)|
|Oil||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Swiss cheese||4 Ounce, well chilled|
|Sharp cheddar cheese||1 Ounce, well chilled|
|Half and half/Milk||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Cayenne pepper||1 Dash|
1. With a grater or using the metal blade of a food processor, grate the Parmesan finely.
2. Add salt, oregano and a generous amount of pepper and mix well. Keep aside.
3. With a knife or using the slicing disc of a food processor, slice the zucchini.
4. Sprinkle with 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, let stand in a colander for 1 hour, and drain by placing on paper towels.
5. With a knife or using the metal blade of a food processor, mince the garlic and onion.
6. With the shredding disc of a food processor, shred the Swiss cheese and Cheddar cheese separately.
7. With a knife or using the slicing disc of a food processor, slice the tomatoes.
8. In another bowl, mix the eggs and a dash of cayenne pepper.
9. Continue mixing while you pour the half &half, and blend well.
10. Pre-heat the oven to 375Â°F.
11. Place a skillet over medium heat and heat 1 1/2 teaspoons oil.
12. Add the onions and garlic and saute for 2-3 minutes until soft.
13. Cool for a while.
14. In the pastry shell, spread the Swiss cheese on the bottom.
15. Layer with zucchini, tomato slices and the onions.
16. First, sprinkle the Parmesan mixture on this and then, top with Cheddar cheese.
17. Place pastry shell on a cookie sheet and pour in the custard mixture carefully.
18. In the oven, bake in the center rack for 30-35 minutes, until custard is firm, puffy and lightly browned.
19. Cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes.
20. Serve cut into wedges.